Tuesday, March 9, 2010

About Marriott...


So as you know, or may not know, I applied for a job through the Marriott website here in Duesseldorf. It was really all a coincidence, I was sitting on the couch one night while Erik and Matthias were playing playstation and we checking out job opportunities. I happened to find a front desk position at a Courtyard Marriott in the area. It was about 3am and I just decided to apply, just to "see" what would happen. In the past when I've applied online for a job at a hotel it normally takes at least a couple of months. Surprisingly, the next day I got an email inviting me for an interview. The next week, I interviewed (alles auf Deutsch) and had a really good feeling about the interview and job....they wrote me an email about a week later and said they were reconstructing and didn't have room for me but would like to keep my application on file for the future. Thinking that was just an easy way to let me down, I didn't think too much about it and continued waking up every morning and heading to Le Pain.

Then out of nowhere, I recieved another email inviting me back for yet another interview for a new event department position. I interviewed, again and the next day I was offered the job!!

I was hired as the in-house event coordinator and will the "go-to" person for when we have in events. I will be working directly with another girl and its just the 2 of us that make up the event department.

I quit the restaurant today, a little sad, but how could I pass up this opportunity? My last day is on Monday. Matthias also quit because he needs to write his bachelor thesis and will leave at the end of April. It was a great experience and I was able to vastly improve my German skills. It was fun while it lasted, but Mr. Marriott has called my name...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ash, Congratulations on your new job! You know I have a special spot for Event Planning!! And I LOVE the apartment!! You guys did a great job with the colors. Miss you both. xoxo